Well, we’ve got all of the pieces together!
Saturday we met at 10:00 am for our first big Building Day in the SLIS Library. We worked through the Assembly Instructions in sequential order, beginning with the exterior supports and cradle base, then adding the levers, handle arm, cradle, platen, and light frame.
We were able to complete up to page 20 (base, arms and cradle) with four people in about 2 ½ hours, with two members assembling pieces by hand and the other two drilling pilot holes (w/ countersink) and inserting screws.
The cradle mount pieces were the only serious setback, as two of these were too big to fit into the cradle wings. Two of us worked on this while three other started on the platen. We suspect that one reason for the tight fit was the spray paint; paint began to peel off as we attempted to wiggle the pieces in. Sanding and hammering the hell out of them was our strategy. Success! Eventually we got our bruised pieces to rest snugly into the cradle platform as well.
Another small issue: A few of pieces split while we were adding screws, or after the screws were in place. Next week we will add wood glue to these and apply a clamp while the adhesive dries. Nothing that can’t be hidden by a little touch up painting job at the end!
Our final additions will be the glass plates to hold the book pages in place, extra felt or rubber matting to keep the book from sliding, the LED light, and a drop cloth to block the glare. Oh, and the cameras, trigger system, and software…
Tools that we used:
- Two drills (corded with 1/8” drill/countersink bit; cordless with phillips screw bit)
- Tape Measure
- Visqueen for collecting sawdust
We concluded our Building Day with a discussion of trigger options. Read about that, and our final decision here.
By 2:30, the And Then We Were Six group congratulated themselves on a job well done, and snuck out the door, leaving a fully constructed (almost) scanner frame behind.